Monday, January 16, 2017

Ojinaga, Chihuahua, Week 8

This week was probably one of my more frustrating, but awesome weeks in the mission! E. Marx forgot where his investigators lived so we spent about 3 days of this week just trying to figure out where they were all located. The main problem was that we did it all on very destroyed bikes that bruise you just by sitting on them.  I´ve only just started to recover from the injuries that I endured in the saddle during this past week. Luckily we have now figured out where they all live, and I have decided that we are going to only use the bikes if we really need to use them.  Instead we are going to contact as many people as possible. In the 2 days we had to contact, we contacted more than E. marx and his previous companion contacted in 6 weeks. Everyone was pretty impressed that we were able to pull it off. Turns out we are kind of a experiment companionship due to the fact that gringos don´t train other gringos.  So far we have been proving them wrong!

It has been a super awesome experience to train someone.  I used to tell E. Vargas (second companion) that i would enjoy being a district leader or training a latino, but I also told him that i would never want to train a gringo...Turns out he recommended me to be a trainer of a gringo, and the president agreed ha ha ha. But surprisingly it has turned out to be a lot better than I thought. E. Marx has some quirks due to bad habits learned from his first companion, but he knows that I know what I´m doing and has a desire to improve in all aspects except waking up early.  We are working with him there as well ha ha ha. I have taken up a manera (way) of forcing him out of his comfort of zone and making him do things that he thinks are impossible, like giving the entire gospel principles class solo ha ha ha.

Anyways this week was a bit chaotic.  The government here did something whacky and all the prices went up super high this Friday.  Luckily the president told us to buy our food before then.  The only problem was that everyone received this same news.  I don´t think I have ever seen a grocery store with so little food after everyone had bought stuff by Thursday, it was crazy!

This week I also went head to head with a native Mexican in a chile dare.  He bet me that if I would rub a chile habanero on my face, he would do it as well and would also buy me a kinder chocolate in the oxxo store. There was no hesitance after that, and that was when the most painful experience of my mission began. Turns out it didn´t really affect him, but me on the other hand I was pretty darn swollen for about 3 hours and it felt like I had stuck my face to a hot pan.  It wasn´t a fun experience to say the least, but now when I eat other peppers that taste like candy, compared to that experience.  So I guess it was a blessing in disguise ha ha ha. I´ve told Elder Marx I´m going to rub a habanero on his face if he doesn´t wake up ha ha ha.

One cool experience we had this week was that we were visiting an investigator and we were on our bikes and while on our way we passed by a guy fixing a car and he was making fun of us for not having any winter clothes on when it was so cold out. After that I turned to Elder Marx and told him that if the guy was still there after the visit that we were going to contact him, and he told me the same thing, so we went to the house of the investigator and turns out he wasn´t home.  So we hurried and turned around and visited this kind of crazy guy. He turned out to be super receptive and when I asked for his address he gave me his drivers license, because he wanted to let me know that he wasn´t lying when he said he wanted us to visit him. So that was a pretty cool experience!

Well that is all for this week! Nate, don´t get mauled by any mountain lions.

No comments:

Post a Comment