Sunday, March 12, 2017

Ojinaga, Chihuahua, Week 16

This week was a pretty hard worked week of contacting.  Previously no one dared knocking on doors here in Ojinaga, but the Mission President told me to go for it and report to him how it goes. So that is how we spent a large portion of this week. We would start on a block and knock every single door during the lunch hours.  Lunch hour gave us the advantage of finding a large portion of people in their houses.  They weren´t quite as happy as we were, but the cool thing about Mexicans is that they won´t tell you no.  So most of them say that they are really busy, so we make them not so busy by having them basically tell us their schedules.  Then we teach them a lesson on their open days.  The cool investigators we keep teaching and the rest we write down in a book for future missionaries to check on. So that part of the week went really well, unfortunately all the cool investigators that we already had either weren´t home or were found in inconvenient circumstances to teach. Our plan was to schedule 7 baptisms dates this week, but every single one fell through due to many reasons.  For example, by their parents not being home, or the father in law coming over as an alcoholic, or the pastors of their church coming in the house in the middle of a lesson and telling our investigators that they can´t listen to us anymore. So that was a little hard this week, but we´re going to try even harder this next week, and we are going to get those dates in!

As I ended off last week, we spent the first part of this week in Chihuahua, where we had zone meeting and talked a lot about the meeting with the president from 2 weeks ago.  We basically ended up talking about how to better contact and not having fear to contact people.  Otherwise the sin of passing them without a contact falls on us because they now don´t have the chance to repent... So after all that, we were all pretty motivated to work super hard (hence the knocking on a ton of doors during lunch). Anyways, after that we went to a place called freaky plaza which is basically a mall for geeks, filled with electronics, a ton of anime, and a large collection of types of rubiks cubes. There I bought a new cube called a megaminx that my companion has but hasn´t been able to solve it for 3 months.  Yesterday I figured it out and solved it.  It turns out when you are walking from house to house not teaching lessons you find a lot of time to try to figure out ways to solve a puzzle. My companion is begging me to teach him.  I´ve been thoroughly taking advantage of the situation, as I slowly give him hints hahaha. In Chihuahua we also ate rice balls, which is a tradition here in Ojinaga.  When you go to Chihuahua you go to the rice ball restaurants and order a rice ball and eat it in the bus to Ojinaga. They are pretty good and pretty feeling depending on what type you get. I usually get one called “carne de pastor”, which is a special type of meat style here in Ojinaga that is way good, and usually made with sheep meat. 

This week we tried to make my hair into the hair of a greaser after watching a Mormon movie that was based on a play (way old movie, pretty common but I can´t remember the name) anyways we cut the sides of my head (mission appropriate of course) and then we tried to get my hair to stick straight back, it didn´t work well and we ended using about half a bottle of gel in the process.  We are trying to get permission to use shoe grease to do it.  So far the zone leaders haven´t been too supportive, but they are thinking of letting me do it on a p-day and I can´t leave the house till I clean it all out. Now all I have to do is grow my hair out on top a little more ha ha ha ha. I´ll keep you updated on the progress through these next 3 weeks, before I get moved from Ojinaga haha.

See ya next week

Elder Bunch



Ojinaga, Chihuahua

No comments:

Post a Comment