Thursday, October 12, 2017

La Junta Mexico, Week 7

Well, nothing too dangerous happened this week, but we sure did party! It was a solid birthday week in the mission hahaha. I got a bunch of cool presents, got a lime cheesecake slammed in my face, and got to kill a pig! I can´t ask for much more in life than those types of experiences!

Well up until Thursday it was just a regular week full of work, we ended up finding an investigator whose son was going to complete 25 years on the 6th of October as well! So when she found out my birthday was on the 6th as well, she decided to combine our parties and she told us that her son really wanted to eat a roasted pig for his birthday.  Well that just sounded like the coolest experience ever, to learn how to prepare and roast a pig, so we helped her out in taking it down and preparing it.  We had to leave before they took the insides out and put the pig on the roasting stick (the rod that spins it over the fire for and entire day).  In the end it was a super cool experience and I learned how to make a pig roasting box all I will need is the help of a welder and we can eat roasted pig when I get back (trust me this was the best pig I have eaten in my life, amazing!). After preparing the pig, the zone leaders pretended to get mad at us for being out a little late in a dangerous area, but when we arrived at the house for the grilling we thought we were going to get, they invited us out to dinner at the fair that recently hit the city! We ate massive Gringas (it´s like a big quesadilla with meat). When we finally got back my companion told me I had to open one present so we opened one, and in the end I somehow ended up opening all of them hahahaha,  Then as we got ready for bed we proceeded to eat the cookies, they were surprisingly good for how long I suppose they were in the packet hahaha. 

The next day  ended up running probably 5 miles (we have a massive front porch that  run in while my companion does "excercise").  Overall, I ran about 40 minutes, then my companion came out and said that I had to shower so we didn´t run out of gas, so I took a shower and when I came out the entire district was there and they made me a lime cheesecake!  As Mexican tradition holds I was required to have my face smashed into it hahaha. Weird tradition, but it is basically the equivalent of birthday spankings in the United states.  Personally I like the tradition here more, the bigger your face the bigger slice of cake you get haha. After that it was a normal day until that afternoon when we went for a massive pig feast.  They had it roasting on the rod and you just had to pull off the parts that you wanted to eat,  I ate a ton of ribs and a bit of leg meat, my companion started eating the meat and then decided that the bones themselves were really good and really weak, so he ate a good portion of all the small bones.  I tried one and it was all right, but the meat was the best of it hahaha.  That was how my birthday ended up here in México this year! Super awesome, it´s crazy to think that this is my second birthday here, but I guess I´ll see you all at the party next year!

One of the coolest and weirdest experiences happened this year, when we were walking to church and a huge family of white people pulled up and asked us where the church was!  We showed them where it was and we went to church with them.  It turns out it was a family from New Mexico that came down for vacations (I honestly did not know that people vacationed here).  They said they loved it and that they visited the copper canyon and the Menonites (mexican amish) and said that it was amazing for a 4 day vacation. So who knows, maybe there are cool spots here to visit, only that we as misionaries can´t visit.  The coolest part was that the father served in Chile about 20 years ago and that he translated the testimonies of his wife and his son, both of which wanted to share their testimonies for testimony meeting!  Although his Spanish may not be the best nowadays, it was amazing to see how the spirit helped him convey the message for all the members!  It was an amazing example for the members to see the family attend church even when they were on vacations (the people here put church as their last priority). Super awesome Sunday because of that experience!

That was the week here! They are going to be closing this village from the mission soon due to complete reliance on the missionaries here so if I don´t write next Monday or the week afterwards don´t worry I’m still alive just that I have to haul all my stuff across the state hahaha.

Con mucho amor!

-- 
Elder Bunch
México Chihuahua Misión
La Junta ​





No comments:

Post a Comment