Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Delicias Mexico Part 2, week 5

Another great week here in the blazing heat of the Chihuahua dessert.  Unfortunately, my camera broke a little so I don`t have it to send pictures today, but don`t worry I took it to a repair store and I’ll be getting it back tomorrow.  Besides that this week was pretty cool.  We had a massive Thanksgiving feast, we had a Mexican night in the church, and I’m still pretty good in volleyball!

Well, I guess the biggest abnormal event of the week was on Thursday with the American tradition of Thanksgiving. Sister Brown (the Samoan sister) somehow convinced a family in her ward to giving Thanksgiving to all the gringos in the zone. In the end there was about 10 missionaries, 3 of which were white guys, and the rest were companions. It ended up being a really cool experience.  We ate with an older couple only one of them could speak Spanish, the other only speaks English, so we had a great time speaking in English with everyone. We ate a massive Turkey, some ham, several dishes of food, and pies! It was great! And we took tons of photos, the only problem is that my camera fell and the zoom button broke and is being fixed so I can`t send anything, but next week I’ll most likely send some haha.

On Saturday, we had our Ward Mexican night, apparently it was for the revolution here in Mexico.  I didn`t know that happened because from what I understand the politics here still aren’t the strong suit here haha. But anyways, there were lots of parades throughout the week and the ward had a huge party where we ate tacos, pozole, and elotes (corn on the cob mexican style) while listening to one of the members that has quite the gift musically.  I believe he may also be a little mad with me since he arrived late to church and I took his place on the piano for the introduction hahaha. Anyways, in the end the activity was super fun and we got to show some investigators. that the church likes to party a bit, which was nice because many think we are like the Jehova Witnesses or Catholics or Christians and that we don`t do parties (honestly I don`t understand the churches here, I feel like in other parts of the world they are a bit more normal haha).

Today the zone decided to go and play some Soccer and Volleyball.  I’m still not the best in Soccer and spend most of my time as the “best” goalie in the world! I like to focus on using the fear tactic by yelling at my foes as they try to hit the ball in the goal.  Most of the time it distracts them long enough for me to steal it and get it to a teammate. After winning our soccer match the sister missionaries decided to try their luck in a game of volleyball.  So we headed over to a super cool beach volleyball court that is here. I ended as team captain of one of the teams and we once again used my yelling tactics to animate our teammates and to inflict fear into our enemies. We ended up dominating them using the power of pure force (oh and the sister missionaries were on my team, so I did not end up brutally taking out any of them, just elders this time)! 

A cool experience that we had this week was with the mother of one of our investigators.  We have been teaching a 19 year old girl about why church is cool and why our church is the coolest church to go to even if it is a little far (got to take a bus to get there).  She has been super cool and has been progressing a lot recently.  Anyways her mom asked my companion one day if we could go and visit her mom because she had been super depressed recently. On Friday we went with them to visit her. After a super powerful lesson with the grandmother she ended up telling us that she had been baptized in our church when she was 23.  This ended up being quite the shock to everyone in the room especially the mother and daughter. In the end all of them now wanted to come to church and see why their grandmother got baptized in the first place and to know more about the power of the holy ghost.  The best part is that it is a family of 4 that can be potentially baptized here soon if everything goes well!

Well that was my week here.  This week is the last week of the cycle and it is almost for sure that my companion will be leaving Delicias after 5 months.  He`s a little sad because we have many investigators that are super cool, but he is also excited to see what else the mission has to offer! Either way it has been an excellent journey with him these past 6 weeks!
con mucho amor,
-- 
Elder Bunch

México Chihuahua Misión
Panamericano

No comments:

Post a Comment